MEETING NOTES FOR PEOPLE FOR PEACE, JUSTICE, AND HEALING
People for Peace, Justice, and Healing (Tacoma, WA)
January 16, 2010
Present for check-in at 10:00 a.m. at Associated Ministries, Tacoma, WA: Sallie, Colleen, Sheila, Rob, Mark, Sol.
1. EARTHQUAKE IN HAITI (All)
Discussion. Recommended reading: "U.N. relief effort thwarted; Paul Farmer, an old Haitian hand, talks about the challenges" (Jan. 14, 2010).
2. "IT'S MY LIFE" (Sallie)
Sallie mailed 21 copies of "It's My Life" to school career counselors.
3. DRONE WARS (Mark)
Discussion of the U.S.'s increasing reliance on drone warfare. Recommended reading: Tom Engelhardt, "Terminator Planet: Launching the Drone Wars," Apr. 9, 2009
4. ZEITGEIST (All)
A FEW RANDOM REFERRALS
1. This is music Yes! magazine used for inspiration putting out the last issue.
2. "House" is an interesting TV series.
3. "Avatar" is probably worth seeing.
4. Zinzanni is a pricey treat available in Seattle.
5. Project Runway" is a reality TV of which model Heidi Klum is host, judge and executive producer.
6. Lady Gaga is a 23-year-old person of note.
7. Classic Italian films of the 1970s, according to certain PJHers: Ettore Scola's "We All Loved Each Other So Much" (1974) and Bernardo Bertolucci's "1900" (1976)
1. PERMACULTURE CLASS (Sol)
Tacoma's first permaculture design class will be offered once a month (Friday evening/Saturday/Sunday) from Feburary to September 2010. $800-650 sliding scale. Includes tuition, handbook, lunch. Contact: Patricia 253-565-2599. Website: divinearthgp.com or www.sustainabletacomapierce.org. Permaculture is a solutions-oriented approach to sustainable living. It honors diverse earth-based traditions while nurturing a positive vision of our collective future.
2. DIGGING DEEPER BOOKS FOR DECEMBER (Mark)
On January 18, UFPPC's Monday night book discussion group, Digging Deeper, will discuss The Checkbook and the Missile: Conversations with Arundhati Roy; interviews by David Barsamian (Cambridge, MA: South End Press, 2004). Participation is free and open; meetings are held at 7:00 p.m. at the Mandolin Cafe, 3923 S. 12th St., Tacoma, WA.