MEETING NOTES FOR PEOPLE FOR PEACE, JUSTICE, AND HEALING
People for Peace, Justice and Healing met January 23, 2010, at 10:00 a.m. at Associated Ministries. Present for check-in: Sallie, Nancy, Colleen, Rob, Mark, Karens2, Sol. General and lively discussion: Haiti, recent Supreme Court decision re: Campaign contributions of corporation, Martin Luther King Jr. events and celebrations, books.
1. Members present voted to contribute $150 to the Rachel Corrie Foundation in support of events coming up — a presentation of RACHEL CORRIE at University of Puget Sound on March 3 and the appearance in Olympia at the South Sound Community College of Ali Abunimah, author of the book ONE COUNTRY — a proposed one state solution for Israel/ Palestine. More to come.
1. RACHEL CORRIE at UPS in March.
2. Sister City Film Festival at Blue Mouse opens February 4 and runs every Thursday evening until April 8. Price per film $10. Theater opens at 6:30 p.m., film at 7:30 p.m. February 4 opening film: "Okuribito" from sister city Kitakyushu, Japan. Further information at: www.sistercityfilmfest.org.
3. Recommended viewing by Colleen: INVICTUS at the Grande.
4. Digging Deeper, Monday nights, 7:00 p.m. to 8:30 p.m. at the Mandolin Cafe: January 25: The Gospel According to RFK: Why It Matters Now by Norman MacAfee; February 1 & 8: First As Tragedy, Then As Farce a critique of contemporary capitalism by Slavoj Zizek, and In Defense of Lost Causes, also by Zizek.
5. For information about the Permaculture Design Course, February - September 2010 go to email@example.com website: divineearthgp.com or wwwsustainabletacomapierce.org