Saturday, January 24, 2004 Meeting Notes for People for Peace, Justice, and Healing
PPJH meeting minutes
Jan. 24, 2004
Present at the meeting were Sallie, Kyle, Sheila, Benjie, and Rob
Announcements (Not in Chronological Order)
NO PPJH MEETING ON SATURDAY FEB. 7.
1. Saturday Feb. 7: Please attend your democratic precinct caucus. Caucus starts at 10am. To find out where your caucus is, call the Pierce County Democrats at 473-6812. You can also find out on the web:
Go to the Pierce County Auditor web site at: http://www.co.pierce.wa.us/pc/abtus/ourorg/aud/ where you can find your precinct number.
Then go to http://piercecountydemocrats.org/ and find out where your caucus will be.
2. Monday Feb. 2: There will be a training for caucus goers on Monday, Feb 2 at the ILWU Hall in Fife (1306 Alexander Ave.) beginning at 7pm. More info: America In Solidarity 253 691-2294.
3. Sunday Jan. 25: Learn more about the Geneva Initiative. Robyn Lundy, National Organizer for the Tikkun Community, will be at the January gathering of the Seattle Tikkun Community at the University Unitarian church at 6556 35th Ave. N.E.in Seattle. The meeting will end with the usual vegetarian potluck. More info: Jerome Chroman 206 522-9384
Sheila also recommends checking out this site: www.electronicintifada.org , as well as the current issue of the magazine Current History especially the article by Sarah Roy about the deadlock in Israel and Palestine.
4. Saturday, Feb. 7: The International Day of Solidarity with Leonard Peltier: Tacoma.
12:00 NOON: MARCH FOR JUSTICE Portland Ave. Park (on Portland Ave. between E. 24th and E. Fairbanks Ave. Take Portland Ave. exit off I-5 and head east)
1:00 PM: RALLY FOR JUSTICE U.S. Federal Court House, 1717 Pacific Ave.
After Rally Potluck: to be announced.
5. Sunday Feb.15: At 5pm on Feb. 15, there will be a Candlelight Vigil and march to commemorate the 1st anniversary of the largest mass gathering for peace ever on planet earth. We will meet at 5pm at Jack Hyde Park on the waterfront (at the base of McCarver street). Bring signs. SAY NO TO WAR!
6. Saturday March 20: Mark your calendar: March 20 there will be a huge action to loudly proclaim The World Still Says No To War. Further details forthcoming.
7. Last weekend in February and the first weekend in March: The Communiversity, a program of Associated Ministries, has a fine line up this year. Classes take place on the last weekend of Feb. and the first weekend in March. More info: call Associated Ministries at (253) 383-3056 ext. 120. 8. Saturday Feb. 21 There will be an Open House and Potluck dinner at the Guadalupe House, 1417 S. G Street, Tacoma on Sat. Feb. 21 at 6 pm. The staff at Guadalupe House live according to the philosophy of Dorothy Day: no one can help anyone living in poverty unless living with them as they do. Please come to meet the staff and find out what this house is all about. RSVP requested: 573-2840.
9. Monday, Jan. 26 at 7pm at the Rotunda at UPS: a teach-in about Leonard Peltier will be led by Arthur Miller, a longtime activist member of Leonard Peltier Support Group. Doug Sackman, a history professor at UPS, will also speak.
10. Saturday Feb 7 Concert with Jim Page and Anne Fenney: at Northwest Coffee Café, on Garfield near the PLU campus, 6:30pm Saturday Feb 7. 11. Tuesday Jan. 27: The Work Group for the Leonard Peltier After Rally Potluck will meet at 5:45pm at Associated ministries.
We have money in the bank at PPJH. There will be $1400 added soon.
Film Group, PPJH
Our first meeting to discuss and plan using film to change the world will be held next week. This morning, we brainstormed. Several mentioned looking into partnership with our local independent movie houses: the Grand Cinema and the Blue Mouse. The ILWU has some interest in sponsoring film showings as well, and we want to find out how we might co sponsor some film events. Ken Jones of the Unitarian Universalist Association of Tacoma is interested in a series of films for activists at the church, using new digital projection equipment they have. Adam Bray may be able to help us out a bit using intelligence he gathered from previous exploits.
The Democratic Caucuses in Pierce County
Once again, a brainstorm. A very interesting discussion. Most if not all of us plan to attend a training session as well as the caucus. (See announcements).
Our next regularly scheduled meeting will be held on Saturday, Jan. 31 at 10am at Associated Ministries.