Meeting notes for People for Peace, Justice, and Healing February 18, 2006
People for Peace, Justice, and Healing met at 10:00 a.m. at Associated Ministries, 1224 South "I" St., Tacoma, on Saturday, Feb. 18, 2006. Present for check-in: Sallie S., Mark, Sheila, Kyle, Colleen, Dorothy, and Sol.
1. ACLU event on NSA warrantless eavesdropping. (Colleen)
On Saturday, April 1, the ACLU will sponsor a 2:00-4:00 p.m. forum on government spying at King's Books in Tacoma. Chris Varas will be a featured speaker; Jeannie Darneille, Tim Smith, and Emily Ignacio will also speak. Discussion of title ideas.
2. Conversation café. (Group)
Discussion of venue; discussion of character of conversations. Choice of question for next Tuesday at the Mandolin: "Which is more intelligent, American music or American cinema?"
3. March 19 Tacoma antiwar gathering. (Sallie)
On March 19, the third anniversary of the invasion of Iraq, a march-rally-gathering in Tacoma will focus on the war's impact on social programs. Discussion of Latin music needs; feedback on flyer possibilities; discussion of celebrity participation and sources for cartoons. (Related note: On Mar. 25, there will be a teach-in on the war at the University of Puget Sound.)
4. Earth Charter. (Sheila)
On Earth Day, Apr. 22, the Earth Charter group has reserved a booth for the event at the Tacoma Nature Center (19th & Tyler). There will be an activity (salmon?). Volunteers are needed to help staff the table. Call Sheila to volunteer or for information: 253-209-6924.
5. Feb. 22 vigil. (Dorothy)
MoveOn (http://www.moveon.org/) is organizing vigils on Feb. 22 (http://political.moveon.org/event/events/index.html?rc=aclu&action_id=34) to focus attention on illegal government spying. Dorothy will register the PPJH Wednesday vigil on that date as such.
6. June 21. (Sol)
Chief Arvol Looking Horse of the Lakota, Dakota and Nakota Nation (http://www.wolakota.org/) has called for June 21 to be a day of world peace and prayer. We will discuss this idea further; please take a look.
1. Louisa will repeat her New Orleans talk at the Friends meeting on Feb. 19 (11:00 a.m.) and at First United Methodist on Mar. 19 (11:00 a.m.).
2. Progressive Roundtable this Friday, Feb. 24, 7:00 a.m., at Commencement Bay Coffee (25th & Jefferson). (Sallie)
3. Council for All Beings ritual, (http://www.rhythmstacoma.com/10_Events_Wkshops/Spring_06/Council%20of%20all%20Beings.htm) March. 3-4 -- a ritual to connect with the earth. (Sol)
4. On Feb. 27, UFPPC's book discussion group, Digging Deeper, (http://www.ufppc.org/content/view/4097/) will begin a month-long discussion of a group of books pertaining to American core values: 1) Jimmy Carter, Our Endangered Values; 2) Anatol Lieven, America Right or Wrong; 3) Chalmers Johnson, The Sorrows of Empire; 4) Cornel West, Democracy Matters; 5) Thomas Frank, What's the Matter with Kansas? Flyer available. (Mark)