MEETING NOTES FOR PEOPLE FOR PEACE, JUSTICE, AND HEALING
People for Peace, Justice, and Healing (Tacoma, WA)
February 20, 2010
PPJH convened in regular meeting at 10:00 a.m. at Associated Ministries, in Tacoma, WA.
Present for the 10:20 a.m. check-in (which began at 10:25 a.m., five minutes late): Rob, Colleen Sarah, Mark, Dorothy, and Sallie
1. CITIZENS UNITED v. FED (Colleen)
Discussed the Jan. 21 Supreme Court decision and Ira Glasser's recent Huffington Post piece calling it "a great ruling . . . for the First Amendment."
2. FAIR ELECTIONS NOW ACT (Dorothy)
Dorothy reported that Sen. Patty Murray is not supporting the bill. (Sen. Maria Cantwell is a co-sponsor.)
3. MARCH 19 FLIER (Sallie)
Looked at a proof of a flier. Lyle Quasim will speak at the 4:00 p.m. Mar. 19 UFPPC/VFP antiwar rally in front of the Federal Building in Tacoma.
A FEW RANDOM REFERRALS
1. FULL CATASTROPHE LIVING, by Jon Kabat-Zinn (65, professor of medicine emeritus and founding director fo the Stress Reduction Clinic and the Center for Mindfulness in Medicine, Health Care, and Society at the University of Massachusetts Medical School), has a title that was inspired by a line from "Zorba the Greek." (Full title: Full Catastrophe Living: Using the Wisdom of Your Body and Mind to Face Stress, Pain and Illness .)
2. FLIGHT OF THE CONCHORDS. The New Zealand comedy duo's song known as "The Humans Are Dead" or "Robots."
3. OZOMATLI, "Can't Stop Now."
4. RICHARD SHINDELL.
1. Colleen reported that the League of Women Voters will sponsor an event on violations of open meeting legislation in the Baker Room of the Tacoma News Tribune from 6:00 p.m. to 8:00 p.m. on Thurs., Mar. 18.
2. Sallie noted the receipt of a thank-you letter from the Rachel Corrie Foundation for our $150 donation.
3. UFPPC's Digging Deeper has announced its