MEETING NOTES FOR PEOPLE FOR PEACE, JUSTICE, AND HEALING
March 1, 2008
People for Peace, Justice and Healing met March 1, 2008, at Associated Ministries at 10 a.m. Present for check-in: Ray, Rob, Colleen, Sally, Sallie, Sol, Nancy, Karen, Mark, Sheila, and Kyle.
1. Rev. James Lawson: Mark
Mark gave us an excellent review of Lawson's remarks at the U.W./Tacoma re: The Civil Rights and Peace movements.
2. Our Dinner with "My Dinner with Andre"
Group discussed last minute needs and details for our fundraiser beginning March 1, 6:00 p.m. at Associated Ministries.
ANNOUNCEMENTS: This Week Coming UP
1. MAQUILAPOLIS -- March 3, 6:30 p.m. to 9:00 p.m. Longshoreman's Hall at 1710 Market Street -- not to be confused with Longshoreman's Hall on the docks. Globalization and Unfair Labor Practices. Documentary film sponsored by ACLU student group of the University of Washington/Tacoma. Free eats at 6:30.
2. DR. ABDELFATTAH ABUSROUR -- March 4, First Congregational Church, 209 South J Street, 7:00 p.m. Hosted by Micah Project of First Methodist Church. Abed will speak on his work with youth at Al-Rowwad, a Palestinian refugee camp in Bethlehem. Al-Rowwad offers non-violent resistance to the occupation and encourages ways toward peace.
3. A.C.L.U. -- March 5, 7 p.m., Olympic Room, Tacoma Public Library. Presentation of a video and discussion about the war against drugs. Guest speaker -- Alison Chinn Holcomb of the A.C.L.U.
4. Coming Monday, March 10, David Bacon at King's Books, 7:00 p.m. Bacon will be speaking on "How Globalization Creates Migration and Criminalizes Immigrants," the subject of his new book.