MEETING NOTES FOR PEOPLE FOR PEACE, JUSTICE, AND HEALING
April 7, 2007
People for Peace, Justice and Healing held its regular Saturday meeting at 10:00 a.m. on Apr. 7, 2007, at Associated Ministries in Tacoma, WA. Present for check-in: Sallie S., Mark, Colleen, Sheila, Kyle, Nancy, and Vivi.
1. NEW FORT LEWIS COMMANDER (Mark)
Mark reported on what he's learned about the background about Maj. Gen. Charles H. Jacoby Jr., who will be the new commander of Fort Lewis -- in particular, the fact that he is the author of an important report on U.S. torture in Afghanistan that has yet to be made public in its entirety. He read a piece critical of the News Tribune's reporting on the subject for the UFPPC web site, and received useful feedback.
2. WORLD AFFAIRS SUMMIT (Colleen)
Colleen reported that volunteers are needed to help with many aspects of the World Affairs Summit that will be held in Tacoma on Apr. 20-21, with workshops and presentations on subjects related to peace and social justice, education, and the environment. Call Colleen 759-9680 to speak about possibilities for some interesting volunteer work. All events will be held either at the University of Washington-Tacoma, the Museum of Glass, the Tacoma Art Museum, or Tacoma's Theater District. -- Also, on Fri. evening, Apr. 20, at 8:00 p.m., AN EVENING OF WORD AND SONG will bring musicians (including Steve & Kristi Nebel) and spoken word artists & poets (include Luke Smiraldo) together for a rousing show. This event will in all likelihood be held at the Tacoma School of the Arts on Broadway (1117 Broadway). Mark your calendar!
3. UFPPC BOOK GROUP (Mark)
Mark reported on the next set of books to be discussed in United for Peace of Pierce County's book discussion group, Digging Deeper, which is held every Monday evening at 7:00 p.m. at the Mandolin Café at 3923 South 12th St., Tacoma. More information is available here.
4. PORT PROTEST PRESENTATION REPORT (Mark)
Mark reported briefly on what was said at the "Port Protest Presentation" that Tacoma SDS put on at the University of Puget Sound on Tues., Apr. 3, from 5:00 p.m. to 7:00 p.m.
1. FELLOWSHIP OF RECONCILIATION SPRING ASSEMBLY (Vivi) The Ninth Annual Spring Assembly of Western Washington FOR will be held on Sat., Apr. 28, in West Seattle, at the Fauntleroy UCC Church at 9620 California SW. The theme: "Where Have All the Revolutions Gone? Long Time Passing or Here for the Long Haul?" Registrants will be asked to pay $15 or whatever they can. This includes lunch. Pre-registering by Apr. 20 will assist planning. For more information, contact the WWFOR office at 206-789-5565 email@example.com -- or see here.
2. ASSOCIATED MINISTRIES DINNER (Sallie) Donations of items or services for auction are needed for the Associated Ministries dinner and auction at 6:30 p.m. on Sat., Apr. 28, at St. Charles Borromeo Church in Tacoma. Call Sallie at 383-3056 ext. 105.
Respectfully submitted, Mark