MEETING NOTES FOR PEOPLE FOR PEACE, JUSTICE, AND HEALING
July 21, 2007
People for peace, Justice and Healing met this Saturday July 21st at Associated Ministries.
Present for check-in were: Nancy, Sheila, Kyle, Susan, Louisa, Colleen, Sallie, and Vivi.
During check-in Sallie mentioned that we now have 59 campers for our inter-faith camp in August,
1. ETHNIC FEST (Sallie)
Volunteers are needed to occupy the peace and justice booth that will be at The Ethnic Fest in Wright Park on July 28th and 29th. Nancy said that she would volunteer to help with the start-up and stay for the morning. Other volunteers still needed.
2. ELECTIONS (Nancy)
Nancy asked for recommendations of good candidates for the elections. Some recommendations were made. Vivi said she would send out copies of stands of the different candidates compiled by the 27th Democrats. There was some discussion of what candidates would be voted on by ranked choice. This information was just received in an email from the 27th Democrats. The RCV system will be used to elect Pierce County Executive, Council Members (Positions 2, 3, 4 and 6), Sheriff, Assessor-Treasurer and Auditor. The first RCV elections will be on November 4, 2007. There will be no primary for those elections. For more information, go to: http://www.co.pierce.wa.us/pc/abtus/ourorg/aud/elections/rcv.htm
3. DETENTION CENTER
It was reported that the Detention Center Roundtable was held this week. The Roundtable now includes 25 agencies that are concerned about the Detention Center. There will be a vigil at the Detention Center on August 11. There will be more information coming.
4. CATERPILLAR HEARINGS (Nancy)
No decision has yet been made at the hearings. Press coverage has helped.
5. JURY NULLIFICATION (Sallie)
Might be something interesting to talk about in the future.
6. PALESTINE (Nancy)
Nancy mentioned she would like more people in Tacoma to be interested in the Palestinian-Israeli issue.
1. Monday, July 23rd * 7 pm and every 4th Monday 27th District Democrats at Commencement Bay Coffee Co, 2354 S Jefferson Tacoma –- Pat McCarthy will speak on Ranked Choice Voting
2. Friday, July 27th and every fourth Friday, 7:00 a.m. – 8:00 a.m., Progressive Roundtable - Commencement Bay Coffee Co, 2354 S Jefferson Tacoma - Networking forum for community leaders and activists. progressiverountable@yahoocom Instead everyone is encouraged to go to the Highlander 75th Anniversary Celebration Saturday, August 4th 1-4, same place.
3. Saturday and Sunday, July 28th and 29th -- Ethnic Fest at Wright Park, Division and I in Tacoma. Free. The Peace and Justice Community will have a booth there.
4. Saturday, August 4 from 1 to 4 p.m. (extended from 12-5) - Highlander 75th Anniversary Celebration at Commencement Bay Coffee Co, 2354 S Jefferson, Tacoma. The celebration features live music and discussion with Guy and Candie Carawan; longtime Highlander activists, the screening of “The Telling Takes me Home” (2005) a half-hour documentary by Heather Carawan; and welcoming remarks and music by local author, professor and activist, Mike Honey. www.highlandercenter.org and also here.
5. Friday, August 11 Vigil at the Detention Center
6. Saturday, September 8, 11 a.m. to 5 p.m. at People’s Park in Tacoma Music and Murals