Saturday, September 14, 2002 Meeting Notes
-Oct. 7th Event Discussion
-Julio Quan workshop on Oct. 26th
- The flyer handed out at Cheney Stadium on Sept. 11th brought a
new member who says she'll come again!
1. Oct. 7th Event commemorating the anniversary of the
beginning of the bombing of Afghanistan, to take place in front
of the Federal Building an hour before sunset until
A ceremony of remembrance for the people of Afghanistan on the
day bombing began.
The group discussed the possiblilities and took on work tasks:
- The hour from 4:37 p.m. to 5:37 p.m. (sunset) will constitute
a vigil in commemoration of the innocent civilian lives lost due to
the U.S. aerial bombing that began October 7, 2001 at approximately
0420 GMT (12:20 p.m. EDT, 3:20 p.m. PDT, 1:20 a.m. in Kabul). The
setting sun will symbolize the untimely deaths of the innocent
victims of the U.S. bombing.
- signs with slogans like: NO MORE CIVILIAN DEATHS: WAGE
DIPLOMACY, BREAK THE ADDICTION TO WAR, OUR GRIEF IS NOT A CRY
FOR WAR, NO WAR IN IRAQ and others.
- leaflet for the event containing casualty statistics and
facts about the war in Afghanistan - Mark and Susan will reserach
and bring to 9.21 meeting.
- puppets - Sally will ask Guadalupe House.
- peace pole - a wooden obelisk we could place at
the center of the vigil - Rob will see if he can locate it and get
permission to borrow it.
- Earth Flags - Sally has five now.
- Praxis - Amy will find out if they might join the vigil.
- Speakers - Mark knows Tosh Kakar, a prof at PLU and a
powerful speaker from Afghanistan who might come to speak. He'll
also try to check with RAWA to see if any Afghani women are
available to speak.
- Music - James Morgan and Mike Honey were mentioned. Who
will ask them?
- PA System - we need one - or need someone to pick one up in
Seattle and return it.
- Publicity - Sally will try to get an announcement in the
Channel. Ken will draft the press release for 9.21 meeting. Marion
will draft a flyer for 9.21 meeting. WE NEED PEOPLE TO HELP WITH
THE MAILING 9.23,24, OR 25. Also will email widely to
anyone/everyone all of us know to attend.
- Op-Ed Piece - It's a good time for someone to do another
op-ed piece... orfor many of us to send letters to the editor.
2. Julio Quan Workshop, October 26th from 9-1 at Associated
- We will not advertise except on the listserv since the
workshop will focus on developing our peace, justice, and healing
- After some discussion, we decided to refer to the original
organizing group (you know who you are) to come to our next
meeting with the details about the workshop.
Look for more after 9.21.
3. Web Site www.tacomapjh.org
It's out of date and could broadcast more public
education/calls to advocacy/meeting announcements, etc. No one
has taken on the task of creating the content. Thanks to Xeno
for offering to do the postings.
Mark agreed to work up new content and be the webmaster.
People at Saturday's meeting agreed to review the site and offer
suggestions to Mark for fresh content from time to time.
Please submit your ideas/content to Mark for consideration.
He sent an annoucement, but in case you didn't get it, his email
address is: email@example.com
Thanks to all the former webmasters for their good work.
4. Conversation Cafe
The momentum for holding conversation cafes has faded. After
the original five conversations, the plan for a major kick-off
didn't materialize. The group at Saturday's meeting agreed that
it's a good time now to revive the idea because getting some
ongoing conversations in place BEFORE the next major international
event (like bombing Iraq) will provide a venue.
We looked briefly at what it'd take to organize the
conversations and agreed that there's already lots in place from
the good work that was done by the original committee. We need
more information before we can proceed. Will talk again at our
- are the trained facilitators still interested?
- is there anyone who would like to chair the committee?
- are others willing to be trained as facilitators?
Sorry, I didn't take good notes on the announcments. Those who
have announcements, please send separate emails.
FINAL THOUGHTS FROM THE PEACE, JUSTICE, AND HEALING CIRCLE:
SEND WORLD LEADERS YOUR THOUGHTS AND PRAYERS FOR PEACE.
PLANT PEACE SEEDS!
The meeting concluded at 12:15 p.m.