MEETING NOTES FOR PEOPLE FOR PEACE, JUSTICE, AND HEALING
People for Peace, Justice, and Healing
November 7, 2009
People for Peace, Justice and Healing met on November 7 at 10 a.m. at Associated Ministries. Present for check-in: Sallie, Rob, and Mark.
1. FORT HOOD. (All) Discussion of the week's events.
ANNOUNCEMENTS 1. INTERFAITH CAMP REUNION DINNER, Nov. 24, 2009 @ 5:30 p.m. at Urban Grace
The dinner is for former campers, their families, and camp staff. The three of us worked on lists of what to buy, what to bring, who will cook, lists for set-up and clean-up, etc. If you can help with any of the following, please call Sallie at 253-383-3056 x 105:
Baking cookies prior to the event
Kitchen help: 3:00 p.m.
Set-up: 4:00 p.m.
Clean-up: 6:30 or 7:00 p.m.
2. The movie "Soldiers of Conscience" is showing at Seattle's Grand Illusion Cinema for three showings: Saturday, Nov. 21 at 8:15 pm; Sunday, Nov. 22 at 8:15 pm; Wednesday, Nov. 25, 7:00 p.m. and 9:00 p.m. For info and the trailer.
3. Collen told us by email that there will be a Bill of Rights birthday celebration the evening of Dec. 15, but NOT at the History Museum as usual. New venue to be announced.
4. UFPPC's book discussion group, Digging Deeper, will discuss Bill Wasik's And Then There's This (2009), on Mon., Nov. 16, from 7:00 p.m. to 8:30 p.m. at the Mandolin Cafe, 3923 S. 12th St., Tacoma, WA.
5. SOUTH SOUND INTERFAITH CAMP FUNDRAISER WITH TOM RAWSON (Mark)
Tom Rawson will perfom a benefit concert at the Antique Sandwich Company on Sat., Nov. 14, at 7:30 p.m. Have fun and support a good cause!
6. RAY McGOVERN (Mark)
The 27-year CIA veteran and prominent critic of U.S. foreign policy will speak at UW Tacoma (Carwein Auditorium) on Sun., Nov. 15, at 7:00 p.m., presented by the Washington State Religious Campaign Against Torture and United for Peace of Pierce County. The title of the talk: "Does Torture Work? 'Let's Have Both Sides of the Story.'" Cosponsored by ACLU Washington, American Friends Service Committee-Pacific NW, Amnesty International Puget Sound; Pax Christi Tahoma; Peace Action of Washington; Sound Nonviolent Opponents of War (SNOW); Washington Association of Churches; Veterans For Peace Chapter 134 Tacoma; and Western Washington Fellowship of Reconciliation.