MEETING NOTES FOR PEOPLE FOR PEACE, JUSTICE, AND HEALING
People for Peace, Justice, and Healing
November 14, 2009
People for Peace, Justice and Healing met on November 14 at 10 a.m. at Associated Ministries. Present for check-in: Sallie, Rob, and Sol.
1. LOOKING FOR VENUE FOR INTERFAITH CAMP FOR 2010. (Sallie) Camp will most likely not be at Camp Seymour in 2010, because we have to change the dates from late August (due to conflict with Ramadan) to another time, and the only week available at Seymour is while some schools are still in session. So we're looking for another venue, somewhere in the Puget Sound basin, sometime between June 28 and early August. Sallie has been looking, but so far, nothing is sure (there are two possibilities at the moment, but nothing definite, and time is passing, and Sallie is getting anxious). Sol & Rob suggested contacting Camp Sealth & Camp Burton, both on Vashon, and Sallie will follow up. If anyone reading this has any suggestions, please contact Sallie at 253-383-3056 x105 or at email@example.com. Thanks!
2. INTERFAITH CAMP REUNION DINNER, Nov. 24, 2009 @ 5:30 p.m. at Urban Grace
The dinner is for former campers, their families, and camp staff. The three of us worked on lists of what to buy, what to bring, who will cook, lists for set-up and clean-up, etc. If you can help with any of the following, please call Sallie at 253-383-3056 x 105:
Baking cookies prior to the event
Kitchen help: 3:00 p.m.
Set-up: 4:00 p.m.
Clean-up: 6:30 or 7:00 p.m.
1. The movie "Soldiers of Conscience" is showing at Seattle's Grand Illusion Cinema for three showings: Saturday, Nov. 21 at 8:15 pm; Sunday, Nov. 22 at 8:15 pm; Wednesday, Nov. 25, 7:00 p.m. and 9:00 p.m. For info and the trailer.
2. Collen told us by email that there will be a Bill of Rights birthday celebration the evening of Dec. 15, but NOT at the History Museum as usual. New venue to be announced.
3. UFPPC's book discussion group, Digging Deeper, will discuss Dexter Filkin's The Forever War (2008; paperback 2009), on Mon., Nov. 16, from 7:00 p.m. to 8:30 p.m. at the Mandolin Cafe, 3923 S. 12th St., Tacoma, WA.
4. SOUTH SOUND INTERFAITH CAMP FUNDRAISER WITH TOM RAWSON (Mark)
Tom Rawson will perfom a benefit concert at the Antique Sandwich Company on Sat., Nov. 14, at 7:30 p.m. Have fun and support a good cause!
5. RAY McGOVERN (Mark)
The 27-year CIA veteran and prominent critic of U.S. foreign policy will speak at UW Tacoma (Carwein Auditorium) on Sun., Nov. 15, at 7:00 p.m., presented by the Washington State Religious Campaign Against Torture and United for Peace of Pierce County. The title of the talk: "Does Torture Work? 'Let's Have Both Sides of the Story.'" Cosponsored by ACLU Washington, American Friends Service Committee-Pacific NW, Amnesty International Puget Sound; Pax Christi Tahoma; Peace Action of Washington; Sound Nonviolent Opponents of War (SNOW); Washington Association of Churches; Veterans For Peace Chapter 134 Tacoma; and Western Washington Fellowship of Reconciliation.